Thursday, July 23, 2009

Alrick Avalon's Personal Journal

Alrick Avalon

Year 6
I worked hard to get a scholarship. I managed not only the Scholar's Grant but I also got the Quigley visual arts grant and since my parents died, the orphans grant. They grocery made it to rank 3 but I have to close it except when I'm home during the summers. My landlord was nice and threw me a party the day before I left for college.

In college I learned alot about archaeology, aquaculture and chocobunny fund raising. I was kinda hoping there would be a girl at school that could get my mind off of Derek's mom. I always tried to push thoughts like that WAY back but lately they've been getting the better of me. But there isn't one single girl in the dorms!

I decided the only way to do things was head on. I had let my shy nature rule me too long, cause when Derek told me Bea was dating Talin I fumed for weeks. finally Derek asked me what the heck the matter was, so I told him. Derek was always more direct than me so he said "Did ya tell her that?" I envisioned it in my head that she would be flattered.

So when I came back home for winter break I marched right on over there to tell her, only the words got all jumbled in my throat so I just kissed her. I hardly believe I did it myself, but I did. What came after I won't talk to Derek about that, no how, no way. But now he joking calls me his stepdad.


Year 5
Well I'm not going to earning any scholarships at cooking, but I do well enough to feed myself.
The guys check in on me, though not as much as they used to. Now they're more likely to want to play video games with me than make sure I've got food in the fridge. (I always thought it was a little weird, I mean I OWN the grocery store, why wouldn't I have food?) The store is doing well enough, I even bought a few things for the apartment. See, my very own Bonsai tree. It'll never get bigger than that and all I have to do is trim it once a month. Cool, huh? At school I signed up for the technical training and got a bronze sales badge.

Liza calls alot and it's too bad that she lives so far away, we email alot too. I know I shouldn't have the hots for one of my customers but think I'm developing a thing for Lindsay Louie. The wind blew up her pink dress a little and well...never you mind. I swore I saw stars.

Year 4


Derek and I founded the Peacock Isle chapter of the Astronomy Club and I already got $500 for discovering this little faint blue star next to the Sim Dipper.

I'm doing nearly everything for myself now. I even fixed the dishwasher without the landlords help. Schools going good, (A-). The grocery store is picking up again and I've got a couple of friends that call now and again. Liza calls alot just to gossip about mainland stuff and Lindsay Louie is friendly, but I bet she's scoping out one of the techies that live here. Bea stops by and drops off food from the bakery for me.

Year 3

I fixed up the grocery a bit, not that I can do much. The tourists don't come in unless they forgot their snacks for the ride home, mostly it's a local place, meaning there ain't nobody to keep it in business except the Zephyrs. I guess it's good Mr. Zephyr owns a bakery.
I try to keep up the apartment by myself and I keep trying new things, like painting. A girl called Liza Ng took a field trip here and I think she liked me. You know, like, like. I don't know about that. Maybe I'm not ready for girls yet. Right now I'd rather have some of Bea's Gelatin.

Year 2

Edward and became friends this year. We have to sit on a long bus ride to mainland every day to go to school. Sometimes one of the mainland kids takes the bus out to "see" the island, read that as scoff and make fun of. One of the kids seemed OK and wanted to talk to the scientists at my apartment building. Their doing some kind of archeological stuff using computer imaging. They let me have a go at it sometimes on the weekends if I call ahead.
Year 1

My parents are dead. There I said it, dead. the Zephyrs plane crashed straight into the boat, probably saw the lights on in the early morning and hoped it was the mainland. The funeral would be huge with four people dead all the same day, but there's no one left. Charles Zephyr did a nice obit for them in the paper. Good of him, since his wife and brother in law were the others that died. They were in the plane. I'm the last of the Avalon's proud descendants of the grand pirate ship of Greenbard. that's what Dad always said.

I fed a line to the social worker about having a cousin I could stay with in Apple Valley. Patently false, but I modified a few public records on her computer just in case she decides to check. I'm 13 I can take care of myself, and the Zephyrs won't say anything.


The tourists think it's cute that a kid is on the register at the Greenworks Grocer and Florist. The flowers was my mom's deal so I don't sell any right now. Had to cut the fish out too, since dad was the one that brought in the fish. It good to have something to do since I don't really have a hobby.

Edward said I should try doing pottery with him but I just made a warped plate. He used to make stuff with his mom when he lived on the mainland. We still get bussed there every day for school. School's ok, but Islanders are different from everyone else and I just don't like all the stupid questions or the long bus rides.


The Zephyrs check in on me once in a while and Bea always invites me over for supper. When she doesn't, one of the other residents at Belleverde Apartments usually has a cook out or pizza party. Talin, Phil, and Ethan just love to get together and talk tech. It's great. I always learn lots when I listen in.

No comments:

Post a Comment